7 Inexpensive Toys Designed To Get Kids Outside
It’s a beautiful truth that kids love to play outside. A backyard is likely the first place kids gain real appreciation and wonder for nature. It’s where they explore, learn, and observe the intricacies of living things. Unfortunately, largely due to technology, today’s kids are often spending far too much time indoors, and may need a little help learning how to “unplug.” Here are 7 great gifts under $50 to encourage the children in your life to pursue outdoor adventures (while also keeping them occupied so you can get some gardening done)!
1. This Backyard Safari Cargo Vest is for the imaginative kid who creates elaborate story lines in their playtime. He/she can lead a safari group through the jungle, research a new species of plant as a field scientist or just enjoy a handy vest with pocket variety to store outdoor gear! It’s made to last from “rugged, poly-twill fabric with reinforced detail,” includes several pockets, an adventure guide and even four D rings to clip in more equipment. Very reasonably priced, we recommend pairing it with Backyard Safari Field Binoculars, and/or Backyard Safari 6 in 1 Field Tools!
2. Well, we’d be surprised if your child hasn’t already fashioned a makeshift bug house from various hijacked household items not originally intended for the capture and keeping of insects and/or frogs. Good news folks! We found a Backyard Exploration Critter Case and it has breathing holes! The case “is constructed from a sturdy plastic frame and fabric mesh sides that allow safe observation of insects within.” It also has an “easy open hatch,” a flat base for stability and a carrying handle. Provide your child and his/her future specimens with the most high quality, humane of temporary homes!
3. Jumbo Insects! Could anything sound like more fun? For your kid, probably not. This Learning Resources Jumbo Insects box comes with a large, beautiful set of 7 plastic insects, detailed to closely resemble the real thing (except in size of course.) Great gift for younger children to promote learning and fun with an up close look at these critter companions.
4. Check out this very legit, fully equipped handheld magnifying glass. For the kid who appreciates fine craftsmanship and wishes to get a little more intimate with the yard, this is the perfect gift. It includes a flashlight, interchangeable lenses for different magnification power, an LED magnifier for reading and a rubber handle for great grip support. Consistently rated 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, this product will not disappoint!
5. This Children’s Garden Tool Set is colorful, durable and a great way to get your kid interested in gardening! This set comes with three small gardening tools, a watering hose and a sturdy tote bag to carry them in. Alongside their mom, dad, or grandparents in the garden, kids will love to develop their green thumbs with this tool set!
6.Kids and walkie-talkies are one of the great love stories of our time… make the kid in your life’s day, week, month with Kidzlane Durable Walkie Talkies! They’re sleek, bright and very reasonably priced. Forget the lousy ones with a weak distance range, these walkie-talkies will work up to a two- mile distance. Great for parents who want to keep in touch with a curious child who is out of direct sight and of course, is a favorite among any pair of kids who are on a mission.
7. FlagHouse Velcro Tag Vests take the age-old classic to the next level – it’s tag 2.0. The product includes two vests made from reinforced vinyl covered with Velcro and two balls that stick when thrown! This awesome game will inspire hours of fun and exercise as well as provide added safety due to the brightly colored Velcro!
Whatever it takes, it’s up to us to get kids outside! What has worked for you? Let us know in the comments!
Sign up here for our online newsletter where we’ll bring you exclusive offers, gardening tips and tricks, creative outdoor decor ideas, simple but stunning DIY projects, profiles of gardeners from around the world, book reviews, product recommendations, and so much more.